Always popular in its original off-Oxford-Street location and the odd pop-up, Roti Chai have now quietly opened their next restaurant all the way over in Canary Wharf - the latest to be part of the new Crossrail Place centre.
Chai Ki will be part Toddy Shop bar and kitchen, that part is open all-day now, and the dining room which is coming soon. Plus - they'll be doing breakfasts too (some of the dishes sound wonderful) so if you're working in the area, you owe it to yourselves to start the day there.
We've picked out some of the things on the menu:
- Buns, including the Sausage Bun - sausage fennel ‘chapli’ patty, fried egg, cheese, tamarind tomato ketchup 4.8
- Buttermilk Pancakes - stack of three, made with ‘chaas’ buttermilk including blueberries, honey & maple syrup 6.5
- Railway Omelette - with shallots, turmeric & green chilli, brioche bun, heritage vine tomato 6.5
- Anda Bhurji - red onion & curry leaf scrambled eggs, brioche bun, heritage vine tomato 6.5
- Full Nashta - streaky bacon, anda bhurji, brioche bun, aloo tikki hash, masala beans, spiced sausages, heritage vine tomato 11.5
- "Breakfast liquor" - including Reincarnation - Bloody Mary, Chai Ki spices 6.5 / 8.5
- Koliwada Calamari - curry leaf, pickling spices, ‘jaggery’ cane sugar, roasted cumin 8.2
- Coorgi Pulled Pork - pulled pork shoulder, coconut, curry leaf, chilli, Malabar paratha 7.9
- Burnt Chilli Chicken - Indo-Chinese Szechwan sauce, red & green peppers, spring onion 7.9
- Himalayan Ribs - babyback ribs, Nepalese chilli rub, pineapple, bacon bhel 8.9
- Hyderabadi Duck - cracked wheat, duck keema with saffron, rock moss & green cardamom, brioche bun 10.5
- Dakshini Korma - aubergine, sweet potato, snow peas, South Indian spices & coconut milk, served with steamed basmati rice 9.5
We caught up with Roti Chai's Rohit Chugh to find out more: "My inspiration for the Toddy Shop menu is of coastal drinking dens - and I do have a few very interesting options lined up for our drinks list. There are one or two dishes that guests will recognise from Roti Chai's Street Kitchen but for the most part it is a brand new menu which seems to have gone down very well so far."
The Chai Ki Toddy Shop and Kitchen is open now at 1 Crossrail Place, London E14 5AR. For more, follow them on Twitter @chaikilondon