A Hot Dinners exclusive - updated 16/3/16 with opening date
A very promising new restaurant is heading Farringdon-way, courtesy of chef Mark Jarvis (previously head chef at the Bingham in Richmond and, before that, Blueprint Cafe, Zuma, Texture and Le Manoir). Also in the kitchen is Jack Cashmore (previously at Sat Baines & In De Wulf).
The menu is being billed as accessible modern British fine dining (aka bistronomy) with ever-changing menus that update weekly. A taster of that from the opening (a la carte) lunch menu (which does sound lovely), with dishes running from £6-18, is:
- Kabocha squash dumplings, hens egg, Berkswell cheese, brown butter
- Bitter endive, palm sugar, pound cake crumbs
- Line caught Seabass, puree of artichoke, roast salsify
- Jerusalem artichoke soup, raw Orkney scallop, winter truffle
- Wood pigeon, chestnut cream, chicory, coffee
- Scottish Salmon, mariner, mussel tempura, sea vegetables
- Old spot pork cooked in whey, kohlrabi, fermented apple
- Genmai and Tahitian vanilla rice pudding
In the evening, they'll have a set tasting menu of 6+ courses for around the £40 mark. Drinks are still being confirmed with Berry Bros behind the wines. The restaurant itself will seat 40, taking over the spot left by Fabrizio.
Anglo opens 18 March 2016 at 30 Cross Street, London EC1 N8UH (starting with lunch for walk-ins only on the 18th). The full opening will be on the 22nd - and then they'll be open for lunch Tuesday to Friday 12pm - 3.30pm and dinner Tuesday to Saturday 6pm – 10.30pm. For more, follow them on Twitter @anglofarringdon.