Earlier this year, JKS (Gymkhana, Hoppers) and James Knappett (Kitchen Table) teamed up with publican Dominic Jacobs (The Running Horse) to re-launch The Cadogan Arms - but this wasn't a one-off. The same team are already opening their second pub - a relaunch of The George in Fitzrovia.
The pub is a three-storey Georgian building and, like the Cadogan Arms, has had a pretty extensive renovation. As for the food, there are two parts to that. When the pub opens, the main pub food will have a "best of British" approach and on the menu is:
- Pheasant & pistachio terrine - seasonal chutney, house pickles and toast
- Black pudding scotch egg & oxford sauce
- Scottish langoustine scampi & chips with mushy peas, tartar sauce
- Venison, bacon & prune hot pot with rosemary glazed potato and celeriac topping, buttered cabbage
- Ploughman’s “as it should be” - chunk of cheddar, ½ scotch egg, crispy baguette, tomato chutney, salad, beer pickled onion, honey & mustard glazed ham
- Knickerbocker glory - vanilla ice cream, salted caramel toffee, chocolate fudge brownie, and banana wafer
While we will admit that all that sounds pretty tempting - the second stage of the food offering sounds even more enticing. Opening later, that will be Upstairs at The George and is "a dining experience led by Culinary Director James Knappett". It's going to be much nearer in style to Kitchen Table than The Cadogan Arms, so will the chef be more involved on a daily basis? We'll have to see.
More about The George
Where is it? 55 Great Portland Street, London W1W 7LQ
When does it open? 25 November 2021 (Upstairs at The George opens February 2022)
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners