22/10/21 - updated with opening info
It's been a busy old year for Edson and Natalie Diaz-Fuentes, the couple behind popular Mexican restaurant Santo Remedio. Fresh from having published their first book, the couple have just announced they're opening a second restaurant, Santo Remedio Café. The opening of the café sees the pair coming full circle. Their first restaurant was in Shoreditch but was forced to close five years ago due to issues with the landlord.
Santa Remedio Café will be, as they explain, "An ode to the bustling taquerias of Mexico". The new place will offer some of the same dishes that have proved such a hit at their Bermondsey space (we're presuming the AMAZING guacamole is staying), but there will also be a "takeaway hatch serving an array of Mexican street food favourites".
Dishes from a preview dinner give an idea of what to expect:
- Tuna Tostada - Sashimi Grade Tuna, smashed avocado, chipotle mayonaise, sesame seeds
- Prawn Ceviche Rojo - Bergamot, jalapeño, apple, fennel, red onion
- Rellenito Taco - Stuffed Pasilla de Oaxaca chilli, black bean, plantains, feta
- Ox Tongue Cazuelita - Braised lengua, pumpkin seed sauce, coriander, corn salad
- Heirloom Tomato & Huitlacoche Salad - Orange & Agave dressing, Guajillo flakes, Salsa Macha
- Churros with Cajeta
There will, of course, be some amazing guacamole and margaritas.
"Santo Remedio is going back to its roots!" said the pair on their Instagram feed. "We can’t wait to share our corner of Great Eastern Street with you."
More about Santo Remedio Café
Where is it? 55 Great Eastern St, London EC2A 3HP
When? 21 October 2021 (Soft launch with 20% off food until 3 November)
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners