23/3/21 - updated with soft launch info
What: Sunday in Brooklyn
In a nutshell: NYC fave comes to Notting Hill
Summing it all up: Sunday in Brooklyn has been a big hit in New York - and they're the latest NYC restaurant to make a splash in Notting Hill. They'll have dishes from the original restaurant (including the famed pancakes) and a big focus on brunch.
Americans really like Notting Hill, it seems. Is it because of the movie? It's hard to say but what we do know is that yet another well known New York restaurant is making its way to London and landing in Notting Hill, Sunday in Brooklyn.
It's the second big New York restaurant to come to Notting Hill in recent months following Buvette and also follows American hit Eggslut which also started here a couple of years back. The original Sunday restaurant was launched back in 2016 by chef Jaime Young, who had previously been at NYC hit Atera, which we loved back in the day.
Taking over a two-floored venue on Westbourne Grove (previously a Cote Brasserie), the London branch of Sunday in Brooklyn is aiming for a vibe that will echo the New York original.
The full menus are still to be revealed, but here's a taster of what's coming over from NYC:
- Clams Casino – littleneck clams, garlic bread crumb, smoky bacon
- Whole Smoked Artichoke – whole smoked artichoke, saffron aioli
- Skirt Steak – Chimichurri, roasted carrots, arugula salad
- Swordfish – Grilled swordfish, charred broccoli greens, butter bean pistou
- Ofiras Hummus and Fresh Pita - raw green pistachio tahini, sumac yogurt, and zaatar
- Chocolate S'mores – chocolate soft serve, toasted marshmallow, crisp wafer cookies
Brunch will be a big thing - as the name gives away. That's cemented by the dish that it's best known for - the Sunday pancakes with hazelnut maple praline and brown butter. Expect these to pop up on Instagram and TikTok quite a bit when it opens up over here. Also on the brunch menu are:
- The Don Reuben Omelette – Mole sauce, goat cheese, roasted mushrooms
- Cauliflower Patty Melt – roasted cauliflower, sambal, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese
- Biscuits and Gravy – drop cheddar biscuits, sausage gravy, poached eggs, sambal
The New York restaurant has a focus on sourcing from local independent suppliers - so expect this from the London version. That means, of course, that there will be some London-exclusive dishes - look out for details on those soon.
As for booze, it's an all-natural wine list and Sunday's signature cocktails will be making an appearance too - including the Honeybear on Holiday (Fiji Rum, Amontillado Sherry, Apricot, Pineapple, Lime, Cumin Honey).
More about Sunday in Brooklyn
Where: 98 Westbourne Grove, London W2 5RU
When does it open? 19 July 2021 (Soft launch to 21 July with 50% off food).
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners