Turnips fruit and vegetable stall has been a Borough Market mainstay for over 30 years and now - post lockdown - they're going to try something new. They're teaming up with Tomas Lidakevicius, former executive chef of Jason Atherton's City Social, to launch a new vegetable-led supper club in the arches.
The menu will be based on what Turnip has in at the time (excellent, high-quality veg) and there are two parts to the new experience. First up will be small plates and cocktails - you'll find that in the arch where Turnips usually trades. There will be dishes like:
- Sweet Potato and Lentil Croquettes
- Sweet ’n’ Sour Brittany Cauliflower, Sesame Seeds
- Provence Tomato Bruschetta, Cavolo Nero Pesto
- Fish Balls, Sicilian Pepper Sauce
Next up is more of a supper club experience, with Tomas grilling in a converted shipping container kitchen, which is part of the dining area in the market. That will serve up a five-course menu - and example dishes are:
- Outdoor Provence Tomato, Prawn
- Yorkshire Beans and Peas, 48 hour Short Rib
- Torpedo Watermelon, Galangal, Lemongrass
- Lazare Cherry, Dark Chocolate
Expect both of those menus to change regularly - and the whole thing sounds well worth a look.
More about Turnips
Where is it? 43 Borough Market, London SE1 9AH
When does it run? From 16 July, Thursday - Sunday
How to book: Via their website
Find out more: Follow them on Instagram @turnipsborough.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners