Updated 8/2/18 with auction details
Has it really been eight years since the Scotch Egg Challenge first pitted London's chefs against each other in a battle to come up with the best deep-fried egg combo? Apparently so as the eighth bout of this annual contest is about to come round again.
Taking place at The Canonbury pub in Highbury & Islington on 21 February, the challenge will be hosted by author and writer Joe Warwick. The judges that need to be impressed are The Guardian’s Bob Granleese and Felicity Cloake, Restaurant Magazine Editor, Stefan Chomka and chef and journalist Lisa Markwell.
Shortlisted candidates for this year's event include:
- Neil Rankin – Temper
- Calum Franklin – Holborn Dining Room
- Robin Gill – The Dairy
- Chris King – Langham Hotels
- Ben Chapman – Smoking Goat
- Aidan McGee – George and Dragon
- Nick Gibson – The Drapers Arms
- Victor Garvey – Rambla
- Mary-Ellen McTeague – The Aumbry
- Kieran Monteiro – Boma Restaurants
- Matt Hunter – Star Inn the City, York
- Shaun Searley – The Quality Chop House
- Mick Dore – The Alexandra, SW19
- Eugenia Paiva – The Guinea Grill
- Adam Hicks – Dukes Head, Putney
- Chantelle Nicholson – Tredwells
- Gina Hopkins – (2017 winner and former Head Chef of The Draper's Arms)
- Anna Haugh - former Head Chef Bob Bob Ricard
- Tim Anderson – Nanban
- James Ramsden – Pidgin
- Phil Mason - The Rat Inn, Northumberland
- Ben Maschler - The Compasses Inn
- Stephen Englefield – The Jugged Hare
The event is free to attend - it's VERY popular, as you might imagine. So maybe this year you'll be interested to learn that they've launched an online charity auction to win a VIP tickets to The Scotch Egg Challenge which means you'll have front row seats, full hospitality and the chance to sample every single egg along with the judges rather than trying to beat off the hordes of other egg fanciers in the melee.
More about The Scotch Egg Challenge
Where is it? 21 Canonbury Place, London N1 2NS
When is it on? 21 February 2018. To bid for VIP tickets, head here.
Find out more: ollow the Challenge on Twitter at #ScotchEggChallenge