Updated 26/2/15 with opening date
It may be too early to call it a trend, but we're definitely seeing an increase in openings with a more healhy bent. The latest of these is Maple and Fitz, a healthy food and juice bar opening in Fitztrovia.
What can you tell us about Maple and Fitz?
it's a mix of restaurant and cold pressed juice bar. The food will be available to eat in or take away and has been set up by Canadian chef Adria Wu - who'se moved away from previous careers in engineering, management consulting and finance - before training at Le Cordon Bleu London. The restaurant itself will be on two floors with downstairs seating for 12-15 and space for al fresco dining when the weather is brighter.
The restaurant will start with a healthy breakfast. The menu will offers "filling breakfasts through to hearty salads and grain bowls with add-on proteins for lunch, all with a focus on fresh and wholesome ingredients". Examples from the menu include:
- Julius Caesar - shredded kale and cabbage, romaine, mangetout, buckwheat, gluten-free croutons, Pecorino and a Dijon-lemon yoghurt dressing
- Lady Pom salad - whole grains, pomegranate, toasted walnuts, tarragon, shredded cucumber and granny smith apple, diced celery and tangy tahini pomegranate dressing.
- Mexican Standoff - bulgur wheat, black beans, grape tomatoes, organic cheddar, fresh jalapenos, red onion, avocado and coriander lime pesto dressing.
- Samurai Slaw - soba noodles, shredded cabbage and carrots, mint, coriander, sesame, spring onion and a miso sesame soy dressing.
One portion will cost £6.50 and can be a mix of up to three salads or grain bowls. You can also add on free-range chicken, salmon, tofu, tempeh or avocado and poached or hard-boiled egg if you need some more protein.
The cold pressed juices include:
- Little Miss Sunshine for energy - grapefruit, orange, lemon, ginger and cayenne
- Bitter Queen for digestion - spinach, kale, lemon, cucumber, celery and grapefruit.
And healthy desserts too. They include "One-Bite Everything Cookies" with coconut, hazelnuts, pecans, oats and dark chocolateand there are also "Gluten-Free Salted Caramel Brownies".
Maple and Fitz opens on 2 March 2015 at 36a Berners Street W1. Opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. For more information, follow them on Twitter @mapleandfitz