Here at Hot Dinners, we do write a lot about brand new restaurants opening in London - but it's just as important to celebrate the stalwarts of the scene. And El Pirata in Mayfair, which is about to reach its 25th year in business, is definitely one of those. They're even saying they'll have served 6 million tapas dishes by the time of the anniversary.
And the Spanish tapas restaurant - always a good bet for a good-value meal in the area - is pulling together a special menu for the occasion called Back to 94. That means all of the 12 dishes (and two wines) on the menu will be back at their 1994 prices.
Here's a selection from the menu:
- Tortilla - Spanish omelette with potatoes & onion £3.50
- Berenjena jardinera - aubergine stuffed with vegetables & topped with cheese £4.50
- Patatas bravas - deep-fried potatoes in a chilli & garlic sauce £2.75
- Calamares con arroz negro – black rice and squid £5.95
- Gambas Pil Pil - prawns in olive oil, garlic & dried hot chilli peppers £4.75
- Chorizo al vino - Spanish sausage in a red wine sauce £3.90
And finally - it's only one of Fred Sirieix's favourite restaurants - here's what the First Dates host has to say about them:
El Pirata is quite simply, one of my favourite restaurants and the perfect place for a friendly and relaxed first date. Consistently very good food, great value for money and top service. Jose and his team always make me feel very welcome and it is so rare that I look at the menu to order. I know it by heart!
More about El Pirata
Where is it? 5-6 Down Street, Mayfair, London W1J 7AQ
When does the menu run? 14-29 June 2019
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners