Updated 28/8/14 with the full run-down of the contestants and eggs.
Forget Michelin stars, one of the most sought after accolades in the restaurant business is to come top the heap at the Scotch Egg Challenge. Held every year at The Ship in Wandsworth, it sees chefs from across the land competing to see who can come up with the best egg/meat (even sometimes fish) combination.
Last year's event was won by The British Larder with a smoked venison Scotch egg which triumphed over other entries from the likes of Duck & Waffle, Barrafina, Kitchen Table, Draper's Arms and more.
Now we love a good Scotch egg and happily devoured as many as we could at last year's event. We love them so much that we (i.e. Hot Dinners editor Catherine Hanly) are actually going to be part of the judging team this year, alongside The Guardian’s Bob Granleese, Katie Glass (Sunday Times), Oliver Peyton, Eric Lanlard and Ed Smith (@rocketandsquash). Joe Warwick will compere.
The full run-down of what we (and anyone attending) will be trying this year is:
- The Aumbry, Prestwich, Manchester - Bury black pudding Scotch quails egg
- Boma Restaurant, Fulham - Scotched duck egg with duck rillettes and cornichons within
- The Canbury Arms, Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey - Wild Boar and thyme Scotch egg, mustard mayonnaise
- The Cornwall Project at The Adam & Eve, Homerton, London - Hogs pudding Cornish Scotch egg, Cornish ale brown sauce
- The Dairy, Clapham Common - Squid, chorizo Scotch egg
- Draper’s Arms, Islington, London - Black pudding & pork Scotch egg
- The Duck Inn, Stanhoe, Norfolk - Black pudding and pork Quails egg, mustard mayonnaise
- The Gannet Bar & Restaurant, Glasgow - Black pudding and pork duck Scotch egg
- The George Inn, Chideock, Dorset - Chorizo Scotch egg
- The George Hotel, West Bay, Dorset - Smokey barbecue pulled pork Scotch egg, whiskey barbecue sauce
- Jessica Mason - Quails eggs wrapped in pork, leek and beer crumbs
- Northbank restaurant, Millennium Bridge, One Pauls Walk, London - Hogs pudding and duck Scotch egg
- Princess Victoria, Shepherds Bush, London - Legbar egg rolled in Tamworth middle white pork, herbs and spices
- The Red Lion, Britwell Salome The Red Lion, Nr. Watlington, Oxfordshire - Black pudding Scotch egg, chilli jam
- Scotchtails, Borough Market, 8 Southwark St, London - Confit duck and cranberry stuffing Scotch egg
- The Swan, Bampton, Devon - Pork, duck and black pudding Scotch egg
- The Victoria, East Sheen - Traditional English Scotch egg with a Chinese twist
- Whyte & Brown, Carnaby Street, London - Chicken Caesar Scotch egg
The event is free to attend, but we highly recommend getting there early to grab a good table.
The Scotch Egg Challenge 2014 is at The Ship, 41 Jew's Row, Wandsworth, London SW18 1TB on 16 September. The action kicks off at 7.30pm but get there earlier to soak up the atmosphere. For more information, follow them @ShipWandsworth.