We were fans of YBF Chef of the Year Adam Rawson long before he cooked at our Elements party in Spring. So news that he'd teamed up with Rhône Wines to do a London pop-up made us sit up and pay attention.
The Rhône Touch is going to be an exhibition/wine bar/restaurant open for 10 days this summer in King's Cross. And whether you're looking to experience wine from an artistic point of view at the free exhibition by London College of Communication students, have a drink with friends, or make more of a meal of it - there's going to be something for you.
Rawson (ex-Pachamama - and now making a name for himself with pop-ups inspired by his foodie travels) has put together a frankly amazing menu which he says will be enhanced by the Rhône wines which "embody the vibrancy and boldness of the food I try and create."
We're seriously tempted by the idea of popping down for one of his aged beef burgers with Tomme de Savoie, Muscat Onions & Aioli (£5) which we reckon would go nicely with a large glass of Saint-Joseph. Wines start from as low as £5 for a glass.
As for the restaurant menu - for £49 you'll get a multi-course feast matched with three cracking Rhône Valley Wines that will be drawn from a selection of appellations - Côtes du Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages, Condrieu, Crozes-Hermitage, Saint-Joseph, and Côte-Rôtie. The combination will change from day to day.
We got a sneak preview of the menu which reads VERY well.
- Burger - Aged Beef, Tomme de Savoie, Muscat Onions & Aioli - (£5)
- Bar snack - Seabass Ceviche, Galangal, Yuzu, Celery & Grapes - (£5)
- Toasted Focaccia, Whipped Smoked Butter
- Cured Brill, Oyster, Gooseberry, Cucumber & Lemon Thyme
- Charred Leek, Brown Butter, Hazelnut & Belper Knolle
- 60 day Aged Beef Txuleton (fish and veggie options also available)
- Jersey Royals, Wild Garlic & Amalfi Lemon
- Heritage Courgette, Goats curd, Lemon Thyme & Almonds
- Baby Gem, Anchovy & Parsley with Lovage Butter Sauce
- Coffee Husk Tart, White Peach & Cacao Nibs
- Cep Mushroom Truffle
As for the art - we're told that each artwork will use sound, smell and touch with the artists looking to create an emotional connection between visitors and wine.
The Rhône Touch runs from 21-31 July 2016 (Closed Monday 25 July) at Platform Theatre Foyer and Bar, UAL Central St Martins, Handyside Street, King’s Cross, London N1C 4AA.