22/7 - Updated with more menu details
There's something of an exchange going on between London and New York at the minute. We've passed over Jason Atherton and Burger & Lobster to them for two new openings. And in return they've sent us Hotel Chantelle.
Named after a World War II safe house and inspired by the design of the rooftop dining space it occupies in New York, Hotel Chantelle London opens next month just off Oxford Street on Orchard Street, above the Bonbonniere Club.
The menu combines new American and fun French. They describe it as molecular gastronomy meets both comfort food and haute cuisine. If you're wondering what on earth that means - here are some dishes to give you an idea:
- Tuna Tartare Cigar (£16) - sushi grade chopped tuna, served inside crisp cigar shell, wasabi tobiko dip
- Foie Gras Tasting (£22) - gold dusted terrine, brioche stuffed donut, seared
- The Mad Lobster (£48) - de-constructed whole lobster, sautéed in miso butter, chili ginger glaze, steamed mixed sea vegetable
- Nori Ash Monk (£29) - nori ash coated monkfish, pan seared, roasted fennel on the vine cherry tomatoes ginger & lemon grass veloute
- Drunken Chicken Parmesan (£27) - thinly pounded, breaded breast of chicken, topped with vodka sauce, melted mozzarella and parmesan
- Gnocchi & Roots (£23) - pan fried potato gnocchi, roasted micro vegetable golden chanterelle and formaggi sauce
- Bloody Mary Chicken (£24) - pan roasted chicken breast, micro celery leaf, baby rocket greens, pickled red onion, heirloom grape tomatoes, crispy olives, tobasco & horseradish vinaigrette
Executive Chef Seth Levine came to fame in the States through the Hell's Kitchen reality show where he reached the quarter final in Series 5. Since then he's opened a series of restaurants and bars in New York including Sons of Essex and The Stand. "“Coming from NYC, one of the most critically acclaimed foodie cities, we felt the next best place to showcase the entire Hotel Chantelle brand was London," he told Hot Dinners. "I’m always excited to have new people try my food, and opening in London gives me a blank canvas to show off my creations with a new palate”
And in addition to all that, cocktails include (all £12):
- Daisy - chrysanthemum vodka, green lemon, simple syrup
- Cloud Rider - dry gin, lavender tincture, lemon, egg white, over ice
- Shadrach - vodka, strawberry, basil, lime, balsamic reduction, fraise des bois, green peppercorns
- Penicillin C - smoky scotch, young ginger, muscovado sugar, lemon
Hotel Chantelle London will be an all day restaurant, opening for brunch through to dinner and at weekends will hold a special jazz brunch.
Hotel Chantelle opens July 23 2015 at 23 Orchard Street, London W1H 6HL. The booking line is 0207 299 2522.
Opening hours will be seven days a week 11.30am-11:00pm Monday-Sunday. Late night dining will be available between Thursday and Saturday until 3am, and weekend brunch will be offered on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am-4pm. Keep up with their news on Twitter @hotelchantelle