21/10/16 - updated with soft launch details.
Following up his successes at Smokehouse and Bad Egg, Neil Rankin is getting ready for his next venture, Temper. This time, he's setting up shop in Soho, and as expected you can expect a big focus on meat.
What we know so far is:
- It's in Soho, round the corner from Yauatcha
- There will be a big focus on meat (the name refers to the process of tempering meat) and they'll be working with whole animals
- Expect lots of rare-breed meats - Beer Fed Dexter, Longhorn and Highland Beef, Saddleback, Middle White, Old Spot and Berkshire Pork will all be on the menu
- But there'll be plenty for veggies too with lots of vegetable focused side dishes
- It's all about avoiding waste - the beef fat will be used for homemade tortillas and butter, and bones will be harvested for broth
- Drinks-wise, the main focus will be on the wine list
- It's the first in a series of restaurants, so expect more Tempers in the future
As for specific dishes, sample ones we've seen include:
- Soy cured raw beef
- Avocado with Sichuan pepper and lime salt
- Grilled leeks. Provolone, pickled herb stalks, hot honey
- Lardo and pancetta carbonara
- Grilled corn, lamb fat butter, fresh mint, yellow chilli
- Dexter kofta and grilled cheese arepa
- Crushed potato with anchovies, garlic vinegar and thyme
- Kouigh-aman with bacon butterscotch
- Fire baked cookie with dulce de leche ice cream
The restaurant's design also sounds pretty interesting. The main dining room will feature an open kitchen and fire pit. There'll be a lot of counter dining and a private dining space with room for 30 diners. At street level the bar will showcase tacos being hand made using heritage corn imported from Masienda.
Temper opens 8 November 2016 at 25 Broadwick Street, London W1F 0DF. There's a soft launch with 50% off food until 11 November. To book, go to www.temperrestaurant.com. Opening hours will be 12pm-10pm Monday – Saturday and 12pm – 6pm on Sundays. Keep up with their news on Twitter @temperldn