James Lowe’s restaurant Lyles, in Shoreditch’s Tea Building, is launching a new standalone bar menu. And it's sounding rather good.
It’ll be around 10 to 12 small dishes, alongside a mix of new and old dishes. Based on the first look at a sample menu (like the set menu, the bar menu will change daily) there’ll be plenty of variety on the price front with dishes from £4 for an individual oyster with rhubarb, up to £24 for red deer with turnip and blood orange.
There's also plenty in the mid-range as well, including sea kale with whey butter, smoked eel, hake with smoked roe and a rather good sounding caramel ice-cream with espresso meringue - plus, their grilled mussels with cider butter.
Here's what else is planned for the launch:
- Calçot, Stichelton & Wild Leek Flatbread £4
- Fried Violet Artichoke & Cedrat Lemon £6
- Bitter Leaves, Pear & Berkswell £9
- Sea Kale, Whey Butter & Cotswold White Egg £12
- Smoked Eel, Seaweed & January King £14
- Beetroot, Sorrel & Bone Marrow £11
- Hake, Smoked Roe & Monk's Beard £13
- Caramel Ice Cream & Espresso Meringue £9
- Meyer Lemon Sherbet & Salted Lemon Meringue £9
Indeed, the way the menu’s been set up also means it’d be dangerously easy to spend the whole night at the bar, mixing and matching your ideal dinner, as well as just popping in for a drink and snack.
And just a quick note on the drinks - we’ve also heard that Lyles have recently started working with Matt Whiley from Scout, which means a few extra drinks on the menu, including a rhubarb, rye and pine concoction. Just the thing to see you through until the days start getting longer….
The new bar menu will be available in the evenings, alongside Lyles’ regular set menu.
When: From 19 February 2018
Where: Tea Building, 56 Shoreditch High Street, London E1 6JJ
Bar Menu Photos by Anton Rodriguez
Subscribe to hear the latest from Hot Dinners