It's all happening in North Greenwich at the moment. There's the wonderful Craft London and we're already fans of the big driving range and Vinothec Compass. And now Virgin Atlantic have landed in the O2 with a version of their first class lounge that you don't have to book a transatlantic flight to experience (although all this talk of New York is reminding us it's high time to arrange another visit).
Called NY-Lon, it's based in the O2 and has a bar that's apparently built to replicate an aircraft engine. Both the food and cocktails are meant to represent both New York and London food, so the menu includes:
For New York food:
- Scrapple with crispy pancetta and caramelised onion chutney - £6.50
- Brooklyn crab salad - £7.50
- Heirloom tomato, avocado and courgette tartare sourdough toast - £6.00
- Sticky chicken wings with blue cheese slaw - £6.50
- Crisp rabbit with heritage carrots and parsley - £6.50
- Pie and mash and liquor - £7.00
- Billingsgate fish pie - £7.50
- Grilled cauliflower and broccoli salad, heritage carrots, apple tapioca - £6.00
We have to admit, we like the look of the UK menu the best, although that scrapple does sound tempting. There are also sharing boards and desserts including Banofee glory (£6.50) and Rhubarb crumble trifle (£6.00).
And for the booze, there are a range of aviation themes cocktails around the £10 mark that are twists on classics like the 30,000ft (Woodford Reserve bourbon, maraschino cherry and juice, Peychaud’s bitters, gin barrel aged orange bitters) and their normal classic equivalents too. As well as plenty of champagne (you are in first class after all...).
You can book a space online now and it is open for everyone - but if you're a member of their loyalty club, you can expect the odd special offer too.
The Virgin Atlantic/Delta Lt Lon lounge is open now at the O2, 7-days-a-week midday to midnight. For more, follow them on Twitter