Chef and restaurant owner Carl Clarke is a master of chicken, and one of the people behind both Chick 'n' Sours and CHIK'N. So he's put his heart and soul into his new book, The Whole Chicken, with everything you need to know about making the very best out of any chicken. With over 100 recipes, including everything from his signature chicken bolognaise to Xian-spiced chicken scratchings, you'll find many new ways to spice up the humble bird.
We've picked one of our favourites from the book, his Doritos-coated schnitzel, for you to try. Take it away Carl....
This recipe is a take on the classic Austrian dish Schnitzel Holstein, which is a flattened veal escalope (scallop) that’s coated in breadcrumbs, fried in butter and served with a fried egg on top and a couple of anchovies. Here, I have swapped the veal for a flattened chicken escalope, which is then coated in tangy cheese Doritos. The crushed Doritos pack an incredible crunch and give the chicken a cheesy back note to the flavour. Doritos are great for coating just about anything from fried cheese to chicken strips (tenders), so just choose whatever flavour you like best.
Don’t be put off by the flattening out of the chicken breast, as it is a simple technique that takes no time at all and allows the chicken to cook quickly so the Doritos aren’t burned before the chicken is cooked through. If you don’t fancy flattening the chicken, then you can always ask your butcher to do it for you.
The anchovies give a salty note to the dish and work so well with the soft egg yolk.
- 80 g (3 oz) tangy
- cheese-flavoured Doritos
- 20 g (¾ oz/⅓ cup)
- panko breadcrumbs
- 20 g (¾ oz/2¼ tablespoons) plain
- (all-pupose) flour
- 1 egg
- 1 large boneless chicken breast,
- butterflied and batted out with
- a mallet until it is about
- 2 mm (⅟16 in) thick
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed (canola) oil
- knob of butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 good-quality salted
- anchovies, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- squeeze of lemon juice
Method: This dish is simple and quick to prepare – you can get the chicken flattened out and coated a few hours before frying and then just store in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
1. Blitz the Doritos in a food processor until crushed, then mix with the panko breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl, then place the flour in a second bowl and beat the egg in a third bowl. Dip the chicken first into the flour, shaking off excess, then dip into the egg and finally dip into the Doritos mixture until the chicken is evenly coated on both sides.
2. Place in the refrigerator to set for around 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan (skillet) over medium heat, add the chicken and gently fry on both sides for 3–4 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. At the last minute, add a knob of butter and cook until the butter turns slightly brown. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. In a separate pan, fry the egg as you like.
5. Place the schnitzel on a warmed serving plate, place the fried egg on top and arrange the anchovies on top of the egg. Add the chives and lemon juice to the brown butter and pour over the eggs and chicken. Serve.
Carl Clarke really does know a thing or two about chicken as you'll know from his very popular Chick 'n' Sours and CHIK'N restaurants. This book takes you through everything you need to know about chicken - from how to joint one to making sure you make use of every single part of it. Recipes include "BBQ Chicken Pizza", "Spatchcock chicken with five-spice, honey and soy" and "Chicken and instant noodle soup".