Update 5/10/21 - And here is the full rundown of the World's 50 Best Restaurants 2021.
Original story follows...
You could be excused for wondering how the World’s 50 Best Restaurants could pull together a (fair) global listing for 2021 when much of the world’s diners have been in and out of lockdown, not to mention most restaurants being on a one-way trip to Struggle Town. But here we are…almost like normal, with the release of the venues that didn’t quite make the cut, aka 51 to 100 on the list.
If you’re excited about the list being back, you no doubt missed it in 2020, when it pressed the pandemic-induced ‘pause’ button not long after receiving restaurant nominations for 2020. In acknowledgement of the travel and dining difficulties recently, the voting for 2021 was created from a merger of the votes cast in 2020 along with a more recent refresh of local-dining updates from the 1,040 secret Academy members. So, it’s likely to be a lot more unusual than other years, but the good news today was the two debut entries on the list from London restaurants, with Ikoyi at number 87 and Brat at number 78.
Ikoyi also won the World’s 50 Best ‘One to Watch’ Award, announced last week, considered a reflection of a restaurant’s status as a rising star on the global dining scene. You can read our Test Drive when it opened in 2017 here and we also had a very enjoyable brunch at Brat late last year. With today’s announcement, you may find it trickier to get reservations at both these restaurants, such as the prestige still associated with the World’s 50 Best list.
The last time we saw this bonus list was in 2019, where it blew out from 51 to 120, in a cute nod to the 120th birthday of San Pellegrino, one of the awards’ sponsors, which saw London’s St John restaurant slide in at number 112. There’s no sign of St John in today’s list of the back 50 (have they made the top 50?!), but two other London restaurants are listed. Core by Claire Smyth is at number 64 (up two places from number 66 in 2019) and Dinner by Heston Blumenthal is number 65 (up 18 places from number 83 in 2019).
The announcement of the coveted 1 to 50 restaurant positions for 2021 will happen in an awards ceremony in Antwerp, Belgium on 5 October. We'll be reporting that on the night.
Here’s the list (so far) in full :
World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2021 – 51-100
51. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan
52. Uliassi, Senegallia, Italy
53. Nerua, Bilbao, Spain
54. St. Hubertus. San Cassiano, Italy
55. Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, New York, USA
56. Sud 777, Mexico City, Mexico
57. Brae, Birregurra, Australia
58. Alchemist, Copenhagen, Switzerland
59. Schloss Schauenstein, Fürstenau, Switzerland
60. Mikla, Istanbul, Turkey
61. D.O.M., Sao Paolo, Brazil
62. Mingles, Seoul, South Korea
63. Sorn, Bangkok, Thailand
64. Core, London, UK
65. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, UK
66. The Jane, Antwerp, Belgium
67. Oteque, Rio de Janiero, Brazil
68. Alcalde, Guadalajara, Mexico
69. De Librije, Zwolle, Netherlands
70. Alinea, Chicago, USA
71. Vea, Hong Kong
72. Le Du, Bangkok, Thailand
73. Il Ristorante Luca Fantin, Tokyo, Japan
74. Quique Dacosta, Denia, Spain
75. Sazenka Tokyo, Japan
76. La Cime, Tokyo, Japan
77. Willem Hiele, Koksidje, Belgium
78. Brat, London, UK
79. Aponiente, El Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain
80. El Chato, Bogota, Colombia
81. La Colombe, Cape Town, South Africa
82. Indian Accent, New Delhi, India
83. Epicure, Paris, France
84. Le Clarence, Paris, France
85. Lasai, Rio de Janiero, Brazil
86. Restaurant David Toutain, Paris, France
87. Ikoyi, London (One to Watch)
88. Belon, Hong Kong, China
89. Amass, Copenhagen, Denmark
90. Mil, Cusco, Peru
91 La Grenouillère, La Madelaine-Sous-Montreuil, France
92. Fyn, Cape Town , South Africa
93. Gaa, Bangkok, Thailand
94. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain
95. Kjolle, Lima, Peru
96. Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru
97. Attica, Melbourne, Australia
98. Alo, Toronto, Canada
99. L’Effervescence, Tokyo, Japan
100. Amber, Hong Kong
To find out more, visit the World’s 50 Best website.
Ikoyi photo by Maureen M Evans
Subscribe to hear the latest from Hot Dinners