What: The Last Talisman
In a nutshell: "Asian Grill and drinking house" in Bermondsey
Summing it all up: This takes over the space that until recently held Loyal Tavern, Inside is a new Asian grill - with a focus on skewers - as well as a tropical cocktail bar called Mala Madre.
Over the past few months, Loyal Tavern has been one of the victims of lockdown, closing in July. But the location (which was also Village East in the past) has been resurrected by Eric Yu's The Breakfast Group (the people behind Opium Chinatown, Jerusalem and others).
The Last Talisman, as it is now known, is billed as a drinking house and Asian grill with a focus on skewered meat, fish and veg cooked on a Japanese hibachi grill. The skewers include:
- Tiger Prawn - sweet basil, spicy smoked citrus white soy
- Scallop Fish Cake - minced seabass, scallop, lemongrass, lime leaf, spicy fish sauce
- British Lamb - lamb rump, peanut sauce, cucumber, pickled onion, coriander
- Mushroom - teriyaki, tempura balls, shiso
There are also snacks like cauliflower or prawn tempura, mini siu mai/XO black pepper bao and sides like a very timely brussel sprouts dish. The yuzu meringue cheesecake sounds tempting too.
Cocktails are going to be a big thing, with a separate cocktail bar, Mala Madre in the same space, with cocktails by Dré Masso. Here's a taste of those:
- Banoffee Old Fashioned - Caramelized banana bourbon and rye whiskey, chocolate bitters
- Emperor’s New Clothes - Cachaça, citrus liqueur, Japanese yuzu, mirin, Demerara sugar
- When Doves Cry - Blanco tequila, mezcal, pink grapefruit, citrus juice and orgeat
Sounds like a big change from before - and quite unlike anything in the immediate area, so it should be very welcome.
More about The Last Talisman
Where is it? 171-173 Bermondsey St, Bermondsey, London SE1 3TQ
When does it open? Open now
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners