Honestly, we were pretty gutted when we heard that chef Tom Cenci's Loyal Tavern was to become another restaurant victim of Covid. So it was cheering news to learn this week that Cenci is back behind the stoves again.
This time he's running a three-month residency at Stoney Street in Borough Market. The restaurant had recently transformed itself into a wine bar in the evenings, and owner Alex Hely-Hutchinson decided to use the evening slots as a way to bring in and help out chefs affected by the pandemic.
Cenci will be the first in a series of chefs taking over the kitchens there and is kicking off his residency next week. And as you can imagine, if you tried his food at either Duck & Waffle or Loyal Tavern, the menu sounds great.
- Cornmeal pancake bites with Old Bay butter, charred corn & spring onion
- Griddled Navajo flatbread with strained yoghurt, chilli & rose oil
- Smoked salmon bellies with grape mustard mayo topped with radish & turmeric dill pickles, curried carrots with wild rice & curry leaves
- Irish beef with hispi cabbage, miso butter & cocoa nib
- Puppy chowcereal (apparently it's an American snack) with peanut butter, melted chocolate and cereal served with chocolate yoghurt mousse and hibiscus syrup.
"The menu will be focused around beautiful Irish beef that has so much depth of flavour" says Tom who says his dishes "will utilise surplus produce that is typically wasted, I can’t wait for diners to dig in."
More about Stoney Street by Night x Tom Cenci
Where is it? Stoney Street, 2-3 Stoney Street, London SE1 9AA
When? 8 October 2020 for three months. Runs Wednesday to Saturday nights.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners