It's all change over at the popular Stepney City Farm where the longstanding farm-to-fork café is getting a do-over. It's going to reopen in the summer as The Allotment Kitchen run by the dynamic duo of Betty Gilbert and Lucy Cuthbert. The pair both have extensive restaurant experience (Deliciously Ella and Timmy Green being two examples) and will be serving up a seasonally inspired menu with ingredients sourced as locally as possible - with much of that grown on the farm itself.
To help get ready to launch the new cafe with a bang, the pair have brought in top chef Ben Tish, chef at Norma and author of Moorish. He'll be cooking a special Saturday night menu with them for three weeks with weekly changing dishes inspired by the farm's produce to raise funds for the cafe and support the farm too.
Of course, as we're still on lockdown, you'll be able to buy Ben's food via the the Farm’s online shop for collection on Saturdays.
Betty said: “We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Ben Tish on the launch of our first joint venture, and we can’t wait to welcome the local community back into the Café on a daily basis.”
Dishes for the three week Saturday night dinner series will be:
Week 1 (16 May)
- Slow roasted Moorish spiced lamb rump, coriander and fresh mint mojo verde, faro with preserved lemon
- Spiced roasted cauliflowers, rose harissa, toasted pistachios and preserved lemon and honey
Both served with saute chards and kales with chilli and garlic
Week 2: (23 May)
- Grilled free range chicken and baby gem, saffron mayonnaise, roasted IOW tomatoes, pan grattato
- Orzo with fennel, almonds, capers and green olives
Both served with braised courgettes, jersey royals and Stepney farm herbs salsa verde
Week 3: (30 May)
- Aubergine parmigiana with English Burrata and basil; or
- Spiced chickpeas, preserved lemon, char grilled runner beans
Both served with Stepney farm salad lemon, olive oil and marjoram vinaigrette
Orders will be taken via the Farm’s online shop up until the Wednesday and you can come and collect the dishes on Saturday,
More about Stepney City Farm
Where is it? Stepney Way, Stepney Green, London E1 3DG
When? 16-30 May 2020
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners