Just pre-lockdown, we wrote about new pub The Clarence, which saw a Stoke Newington institution taken over by the people behind the much-loved Anchor and Hope. Alas, then came the lockdown and they managed only five days trading before being forced to shut. Strange times indeed. But if you didn't manage to make it around there and live locally, you now have a new chance to try their food as they have just launched a new delivery service.
It's all pre-paid no-contact, and there's a 50% discount for NHS staff too. They'll have storecupboard supplies from people like Natoora, Neals Yard Dairy and Monmouth Coffee, but it's the main menu that's caught our attention. They're serving heat-at-home family meals, all prepared by head chef Harry Kaufman, that include:
- Rainbow chard, leek and cheddar pie for two to share £25
- Suet crusted chicken, bacon and wild garlic pie for two to share £25
- Suet crusted steak pie for two to share £25
- Seven hour Swaledale lamb shoulder and gratin dauphinoise - for two to share £25 or for three to share £35
- Confit duck cassoulet – for two to share £25 or for three to share £35
- And extra sides too, including gratin dauphinoise and cheeses for after.
Alongside the food, they're offering cocktails in pouches, wine boxes from St John and may look at offering ale growlers from tap soon.
So, if you're in the Stoke Newington area - this looks like an absolute must.
More about The Clarence Tavern
Where is it? 102 Stoke Newington Church Street, London N16 0LA
How to order: Order online here. Deliveries go out once a day between 3-5pm. Book by 6pm the day before for delivery the next day.
Delivery areas: N16, N5, E8, E5
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners