London has started getting a few new luxe cinemas where the food is a little more than nachos and popcorn. The latest to open is a cinema right in the heart of Selfridges on Oxford Street - but alas you can't take the food into the screening with you.
The Cinema at Selfridges is now open on their lower ground floor (there's a direct entrance from the street too) and has been created by Olympic Studios - who also run cinemas in Barnes (Olympic Cinema) and Battersea (Archlight Cinema). Tickets are between £12 and £20, but it's the food that has caught our interest - with sharing plates during the day - and a special afternoon tea option too. Most of this is - however - served in the new restaurant bar. Inside a screening room, there's a separate "silent snacks" option (popcorn, etc).
But that bar will be a handy destination all in itself with a bar food menu that includes:
- Charcoal Cone, Fig, Cream Cheese Ripple
- Confit Butternut Squash and Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Crushed Pumpkin Seeds on Pumpernickel
- Chargrilled Rump Steak and Horseradish Mayo Choux Bun
- Crispy Tortilla, Szechuan Prawn and Pico de Gallo
- Aubergine, Chickpea and Rosa Harissa Crosstini
- Seared Mixed Sesame Tuna with Wasabi Mayo and Soya Sauce
- Parma Ham, Black Truffle, Artichoke, Rocket and Mascarpone Bites
- Buttermilk Chicken with Sweet Chilli Mayo
And for afternoon tea, the whole menu is:
- Chocolate Almond Cake with Chocolate Mousse
- Blueberry Cheesecake Cone
- Carrot Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Caramelised Pecans
- Apple Crumble Tart with Mascarpone and Ginger Cream
- Scone, Clotted Cream and Homemade Jam
- Selection of Sandwiches
- Choice of Tea
The vegan option includes options like "Courgette Cupcake with Pineapple Compote and Candied Pecans" and "Scone, Sunflower Butter and Homemade Jam". Both options are £32 or £47 with a glass of Champagne.
Add to that a drinks list which includes cocktails, wine - and lots of Champagne, of course - and it makes catching the latest release a lot more enticing.
More about The Cinema at Selfridges
Where is it? 400 Oxford St, Marylebone, London W1A 1AB
Find out more: Visit their website.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners