Update - read our test Drive of Oren here.
In a nutshell: Med food residency goes permanent
Summing it all up: After multiple residencies across town, Oded Oren is opening his own restaurant in Dalston. Expect Mediterranean food with a touch of Tel Aviv.
He's been popping up in residencies across town but now Oded Oren is getting ready to open his own restaurant in Dalston, called Oren.
The chef, who originates from Tel Aviv, will continue to concentrate on the food that's been popular at the residencies. According to a post on Instagram, he'll once again be cooking "food that is inspired from my home and the Mediterranean using local and sustainable produce". He's also teaming up with wine legend Zeren Wilson who'll be producing the list for Oren, so expect something special there. Oren is promising an ever-changing seasonal menu, a weekend brunch and more.
Here's what's planned for the starting menu::
- Ox Cheek and Hummus, made with the finest tahini in Israel from Mount Gerizim
- Grilled lamb sweetbreads and za’atar
- Cured sardines with Cretan olive oil
- Brill tartar with raw courgette and ‘laben kishk’
- Burnt aubergine with Mount Gerizim tahini.
- Monkfish ‘chraime’ and hand rolled cous cous
- Chargrilled hake kebabs and sheep’s yoghurt
- Freekeh - smoked green wheat with Westcobmbe dairy ricotta and fresh herbs
- Cardamom panna cotta with lemon verbena
Plus - something we're hoping to see at the brunch - he's also been working on a Jerusalem mixed grill (with tahini and turmeric pickled mango) served in a pita. Brunch will also feature "Sabich" - that's sweet aubergines, egg and salad in a pita.
It's a 35 seater restaurant and will have a bar area which adds some more snacks. Touted for that menu are "Roasted Jerusalem artichokes with labneh" and "hazelnuts with spicy lamb’s brain". So not your usual bar snacks, then.
More about Oren
Where is it? 89 Shacklewell Ln, Dalston, London E8 2EB
When does it open? 31 October 2019
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners