Originating in Paris, Mama Shelter has spread throughout the world and has finally landed in London too. If you're unfamiliar with them, they're best described as cut-price accommodation with a bit of party central downstairs, all from the family that co-founded Club Med. We stayed in the Paris Mama Shelter earlier this year and found it to be a very handy base in the 11th.
As for the London hotel and restaurant, that's in Hackney (it used to be the RE Hotel London) with rooms starting at a very affordable £99. There are free movies in the room - and yes, that includes free porn too. But the key thing Londoners need to know is that the arrival of this new hotel means there's a new restaurant too.
Here's what we know about the restaurant:
- It's pretty big and made even bigger with an outside courtyard that comes with a retractable roof
- Inside, it's all vintage lamps and a chalkboard ceiling that's covered with graffiti by graphic designer and artist Beniloys
- There's table football and... Twister on offer
- And they have karaoke rooms downstairs, with pinball tables and retro video games.
As for the food, here's what's on offer - including some specifically East End inspired dishes.
- Pork belly baos with char siu sauce, pak choi and hajikami ginger
- Crab doughnuts with pickled cucumber,
- Plant-Based Sharers of Cumin roasted cauliflower and Raw Asian rice paper wraps
- Croque Monsieur and Coquillettes with Mostellos jambon and soft boiled Burford brown egg
- Pie, mash & liquor
- An East London Iced Platter (with Mersea oysters, crayfish, Jellied eels, pickled cocktails and Bloody Mary Mayo)
YOu can expect all that and a self-service Sunday brunch too - and expect partying into the evening with live music sets.
More about Mama Shelter London
Where is it? 437 Hackney Rd, London E2 8PP
When does it open? 2 September 2019
Find out more: Visit their website or follow them on Twitter
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners