We're now in the final stages of Harrods' Food Hall 2.0. Over the course of almost two years, the famed department store has been slowly unveiling a multi-million pound redesign of its food and drink emporium. Firstly, there was the revamp of the wine department, followed by the roastery and bake hall and then the fresh market hall. And this week, they've unveiled the next big opening - the dining hall.
And there's an awful lot changing in the room. Here's what you can expect:
- The Sushi bar - this is headed up by Eddie Lim of the Mango Tree group. There you can find speciality nigri with sauces that include truffled yuzu (he's behind Bao Kitchen which is also opening in Harrods in June).
- The Wine bar takes centre stage in the dining hall - and there are more than 100 wines by the glass (using Coravin machines). it's split by wine style, not region, so you can find a style you're familiar with and explore similar wines. But if that's not enough, you can order - via an Ipad one of the 1000+ bottles of wines from the wine and spirits department. Or you can choose from the wine department itself - and then head to the wine bar to drink it. Suffice it to say - there's plenty of wine (plus bar snacks and caviar too).
- Vineet Bhatia's Kama by Vineet is a 26 seater restaurant in the room. They'll have modern versions of Indian classics and curries.
- The Pasta Bar will be offering fresh pasta with seasonal sauces as well as classics like Carbonara, Pappardelle al Ragù and Focaccia di Recco.
- The Fish Bar has ethically caught seafood from the Fresh Market Hall and includes signature Harrods fish and chips, a lobster toastie, a catch of the day, and smoked salmon from the Faroe Islands. Drinks there include gin and tonic, Champagne, cider or Harrods’ Pisco Sour.
- And finally, there's The Grill. There you can get dry-aged beef, Wagyu and rotisserie chicken (from Ivy House Farm) and seasonal game. Dishes include T-bone, fillet and porterhouse steaks, cooked to order over a charcoal grill, with sides including Truffle Mac & Cheese, triple-cooked fries and creamed green vegetables.
So yes - there's a lot there - all within a complete redesign by David Collins Studio, which has also been behind the rest of the Food Hall overhaul. As you can see from the pics - it looks pretty damned good. There's just one more hall to come - and that one has ALL the chocolate...
More about Harrods
Where is it? 87-135 Brompton Rd, Knightsbridge, London SW1X 7XL
When does it open? Wednesday 26 June 2019
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners