In a nutshell: New East London cafe is inspired by food from all over the world but using produce grown in the heart of Dalston.
Summing it all up: Freddie Janssen and chef Anais van Manen are bringing their vision to fruition by opening a cafe right next to Dalston Junction station.
If you, like us, have been following the career of Freddie Janssen for a while now, you'll know that this London foodie is worth paying attention to. Before she did the marketing for Lyle's but she's also a producer in her own right - her love of pickling led her to an award-winning streetfood career with F.A.T as well as a book on the subject.
Her most recent endeavour is Snackbar which she runs with chef Anais van Manen (ex-Nuala and Trullo). They first set up shop in 2016 with a series of BBQ taco parties, tipped up at Meatopia and held residencies at Borough Market, The Laughing Heart and Legs.
After a successful Kickstarter campaign, this will be their most ambitious venture yet. They're taking over the old Farmshop Cafe on Dalston Lane, beside Dalston Junction station. The cafe will, they say, offer "a selection of globally- inspired, seasonal and creative sandwiches, salads, rice bowls, snacks and more."
It's a partnership with FARM:shop - the world's first urban farming hub. Using the farm's high-tech indoor allotments and an outdoor polytunnel, the café will be in the fortunate position of being able to grow its own vegetables, herbs and mushrooms right in the heart of East London. And they also have a co-working space available for up to 20 people.
Here's some of what's on the menu:
- Nutty Granola, Greek Yoghurt, Berries & Rhubarb Cardamom Jam (gf)
- Soba Noodle Salad - Cold Soba Noodle Salad w/ Miso, Tofu & Radish (vg)
- Breakfast Tacos - Corn Tortilla, Scrambled Eggs, Chorizo & Jalapeño Pickle (gf)
- Babi Guling & Pickled Watermelon Sandwich - Balinese Spiced Porchetta, Pickled Watermelon & Tamarind Sambal
- Kimchi & Stichelton Toastie - Kimchi & Neal’s Yard Dairy Cheese Toastie & Growing Communities Salad
- Snackbar Rice Bowl - Rice Bowl w/ Daikon Pickles, Sweetcorn & Hawkstone Woodland Egg (w/ Karaage Chicken or Grilled Soy Mushroom)
Also, keep an eye out for their chef BBQs in the garden, to be announced soon, They'll include Nud Duddhia (Breddos), James Lowe (Lyle’s), Nuno Mendes (Maos) and Merlin Labron-Johnson (The Conduit).
More about Snackbar
Where is it? 20 Dalston Lane, London E8 3AZ
When does it open? 14 August 2019
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners