15/1/19 - updated with the opening date.
What: Bar Douro City
In a nutshell: Portuguese wine bar in the City
Summing it all up: The original Bar Douro in Flat Iron Square (near London Bridge) has proven such a hit that they're getting ready to open a second. This time they'll be bringing their Portuguese wine and food to a big new development near Broadgate.
After success south of the river near London Bridge, Portuguese restaurant and wine bar Bar Douro is about to get a second outpost in the City.
Launched by owner Max Graham, who spent his childhood in Porto and whose family produces wine in Douro, they'll be opening the new restaurant at 1 Finsbury Avenue. That's the latest big re-development that London's been seeing a lot of at the moment (this time at Broadgate), in this instance revamping a grade II listed building (and adding an Everyman Cinema too).
On the menu will be:
- Petiscos (snacks) include Croquetes de Alheira with smoked sausage from Mirandela in the North East, Fried Eels with Bairrada sauce, a local delicacy from coastal city, Aveiro
- There's also their award-winning Sandes de Leitão, Sucking pig sandwich in Bolo do Caco, a flatbread made with sweet potato from Madeira
- Squash with homemade requeijão a creamy Portuguese cheese
- Bacalhau à Brás salt cod hash
- Gambas á la Guilho and Presa Ibérico with kale migas
- For dessert, baked to order Pão-de-ló de Ovar, a gooey egg-based sponge cake and traditional Pastel de Nata’s (of course)
And new to their City menu are Cataplana's - traditional copper pots deriving from the Algarve and Tachos de Barro Preto and black clay pots from Vila Real. They'll have a rotating selection of seafood stews, rice dishes and braised meats, including Arroz de Sapateira Crab Rice and Pork à Alentejana, a traditional pork dish made with clams, potatoes and coriander.
On the drinks list, there will be a curated Portuguese wine list (the largest such list in London), sourced from independent wineries. And there will be a special list of fine wines on their cellar list - the City does like to spend a bit on a bottle, after all. On top of that, there will be special wine dinners and they're importing Portuguese craft beers too.
As for the look of the place - counter dining will surround an open kitchen (the counter at the original Bar Douro is impressive) and there's more traditional seating in the restaurant, with a terrace outside too.
More about Bar Douro City
Where is it? 1 Finsbury Ave, London EC2M 2PF
When does it open? 28 January 2020 (Soft launch - 50% off food to 11 February).
How to book: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners