Paid for promotion
If you're a fan of Japanese food and drink, then we can't think of a better event to put in your diary than The Joy of Sake. For one evening only, London's Barbican Centre becomes a focus for beginners and enthusiasts alike to try a whopping 478 sakes from 192 breweries across Japan. And if that on its own isn't enough to get you booking, 14 top London restaurants are going to be there too, putting on tasting dishes they've chosen to go particularly well with sake.
As the world’s largest sake celebration outside Japan, The Joy of Sake also aims to be the best. The tour - in London for the first time - starts in New York, hits Honolulu and then us before finishing with a finale festival in Tokyo at the onset of the sake-brewing season.
All the sakes are delivered to London in an unbroken chill chain to ensure quality. And half of what you'll try on the day are ultra-premium daiginjo sakes, made from the innermost core of the rice grain with the rest being ginjo and junmai labels. As for what you try, the choice is yours. The ticket price includes unlimited samplings of the sake and one small plate (or “appetizer”) per person from each restaurant.
And those dishes DO sound good. Here's what's being served up on the day. See the full list of sakes here.
- Chisou Sushi & Izakaya - Chisou Classic Spinach Salad with Spicy Black Tiger Prawns and yuzu dressing
- Dinings SW3 - Fresh Green Tea Smoked Sea Bass Sashimi with yuzu-tiradito sauce
- Flat Three - Silky Tofu with cep ragum and seasonal mushrooms
- Frog by Adam Handling - Chocolate and tofu mousse with crystalised chocolate soil, pickled cherries in rice wine vineger, cherry granitta
- Ginza Onodera - Venison Sushi with sharon fruits compote
- Kikuchi - Kikuchi Special Sushi Roll with salmon, prawn, tobiko, kanpyo, pickled daikon and ikura
- La Fromagerie - Sake-inspired Cheese Selection: Comte D'estive, Truffle Cheese, Regalis Blue, Goat Cheese
- Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park - Slow-cooked Tender Lamb Shoulder with fresh mint and roasted rhubarb (pictured)
- Min Jiang at Royal Garden Hotel - Shaoxing Wine Drunken Chicken with lotus root / King Prawn and Mango Rolls in sesame dressing
- Oysteronomy - Fresh-shucked Fin de Claire oysters
- Sake no Hana - Cornish Mackerel Nanban with carrot, onion and yuzu vinegar
- Street XO - Pekinese Dumplings with strawberry hoisin sauce, crunchy pig ears and yuzu aioli
- Sushi Samba - Snow Crab Roll with aji amarillo truffle mayo on top served with yuzu pearl
- Yen - Special homemade creamy tofu with soy sauce jelly, ginger and soba miso
- Zuma - Sake no Tataki: Seared Salmon with lime shiso soy dressing
More about The Joy of Sake
Where is it? Golden Lane, London, EC2Y 8DL
When: 28 September 2018 - from 6pm to 9pm.
Booking info: Tickets for The Joy of Sake London are £75 (plus processing fee) and include unlimited samplings of sake and a small plate from every participating restaurant. Book online
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners