Updated 15/10/15 with new image and opening date
There's a new restaurant from Fortnum & Mason on the way, and it's taking the place of the Fountain brasserie that's been open for 60 years - so it's a big move for the store. It will be rechristened as 45 Jermyn Street and they're apparently going for a restaurant that recaptures "a golden age of glamour".
In practice, that means an all-day restaurant designed by Martin Brudnizki Design Studio (The Ivy, Holborn Dining Room and lots more) where the focus will be strongly on service. There'll be seating for 113 with both table and counter dining.
The big news is the introduction of a caviar trolley. This will roam the dining room, serving Iranian Beluga 000, Golden Oscietra and Siberian Sturgeon caviars from £2 per gram. The caviar will be weighed and served at the table, accompanied with toast, baked new potatoes, blinis and scrambled eggs prepared tableside. We've been told you're going to be able to order as little as a 10g serving of caviar so that's a £20 entry level to enjoy the experience.
We've had a preview of some of the dishes you'll find throughout the day which are:
- Crushed avocado on toast with Bloody Mary sauce
- Marmite crumpet with fried eggs
- Oak Smoked salmon (smoked on site in St.James’s)
- North Yorkshire grouse with fried polenta and Jerusalem artichokes
- Tagliatelle with white Alba truffles
- Snails with Gorgonzola and garlic butter
- Steamed fillet of Halibut with Leeks and Caviar
- Grilled bones with toasted sour dough and parsley salt
- Spaetzle with Dorset blue lobster and sea aster
As for drinks, expect everything from ice-cream sodas made from soda fountains in the restaurant to cocktails on the list, plus