The Gibson, one of the hottest bars of 2016, is celebrating its first year in operation with the launch of a new cocktail and food menu.Going well beyond the standard crisp and nuts route, The Gibson’s new locally sourced menu features inventive flavours and exotic ingredients specially chosen to be enjoyed alongside their extensive list of award-winning cocktails.
Led by Marian Beke who gained notoriety as bar manager at nearby Nightjar, the team at The Gibson have spent months developing and researching the menu which features an impressive 48 new drinks.
We popped by The Gibson earlier this week to try out a few of these new combinations:
Highlights from the ‘Vittles’bar menu include:
- Flambé armagnac& pheasant terrine, with dill & onion bread, gin blackcurrants, wild cranberry chutney & pickled mushrooms
- Teacup of lobster bisque, with white bread toast, fresh cream, green herbs, onion & garlic flakes.
- English grass-fed beef tartare: organic 21 days beef, with smoked pancetta, mustard, pickles, herbs, spices, capers & egg yolk, rye bread.
- Tomato and garlic pickled octopus, with Gorgonzola cheese, poponcini cherry pepper & rye crackers.
- Oak roasted Scottish salmon, with pickled quail egg, wasabi ricotta & balsamic caviar, over seaweed crisp.
Their new cocktail menu is now also available and runs alongside the above bar menu.
Divided into calendar months, a few of the highlights from this impressive list include:
- Blue Mountain Mai Tai – Havana 7 year old rum, bourbon, fresh lime and orange, orris & nougat cream, roasted apricot amaretto, Himalayan salt, fudge sherry cordial – served in an inflatable flamingo
- Winter in Neverland – Genever, mulled spice cordial, vintage cider, apple & pear conserve, lemon, 7 year old mandarin bitter, white snow, cedarwood Ice – served in a camper-van teapot with a waffle for a lid
- Goldfinger – A twist on the Daiquiri – Brugal 1888 Dominican rum infused with kaffir lime leaves, guanabara juice, lime, lemongrass, coconut sap, spiced pineapple & papaya chutney, lemon bbq crust – garnished with a chocolate orange flapjack
- The Hummingbird – Cognac, Gibson’s elderflower & marigold liqueur, bergamot, champagne, rosehip preserve, fresh mandarin & lemon juice, rose petal confit
If this all seems a little overwhelming, then there’s also a list of simple but great signature drinks which include their Gibson martini and Electrical Earl (gin, earl grey and citrus) - ensuring that you’ll have great drinks no matter what your preference. Drinks from their new menu start from £10
The Gibson is at 44 Old Street, London EC1V 9AQ. Follow The Gibson on twitter @TheGibsonBar.