We've been waiting a LONG time for a good influx of Mexican cuisine in London, but we're finally seeing something of a trend - with the latest being Santo Remedio (aka "Holy Remedy"). It's been in Shoreditch since January but it's getting a proper soft-opening launch with a full menu this week.
it's a small two storey restaurant with a modern take on traditional Mexican from food husband and wife team Edson and Natalie Diaz-Fuentes. Edson has worked all over Mexico, including at Casa Oaxaca, one of the San Pellegrino Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants. Over here, he's been head of menu innovation for the Wahaca restaurant group before going out on his own.
The menu focuses on “Anojitos Mexicanos”, the varied street food of Mexico as well as dishes inspired by the cuisine of Mexico City, Oaxaca and Yucatan. He's using traditional Mexican techniques to marinate and slow cook, as well as featuring a variety of Mexican chillies. So don't expect burritos and fajitas to be the order of the day here. On that menu (a large chunk of which is gluten free) is:
- Classic guacamole, Tomatillo salsa verde and Pasilla salsa roja with freshly made blue and white corn chips
- Chicken wings in mole negro, a sauce made from chilies, nuts, dried fruit and chocolate.
- Various tacos including:
- Beef Barbacoa, six hour slow cooked beef with chile ancho, pasilla & spices served with homemade salsa roja
- Grilled Cactus with sautéed sweetcorn & onions topped with salsa roja & feta cheese
- Pork carnitas tacos with pork confit, caramelized with orange juice & Coca Cola, served with tomatillo salsa verde, red onions & coriander.
- And larger dishes that include:
- Ox tongue with Pipian Rojo
- Grilled Octopus with Yerba Santa and jalapeno mojo de ajo
- Rib eye steak, marinated in pasilla chilies with baby potatoes, mole sauce & sesame seeds.
Plus there is grilled sweetcorn with smoky mayo, lime & pecorino cheese on the side and churros with dulce de leche to finish.
There ARE margaritas but also some mezcal cocktails including Mezcalita Verde, a blend of mezcal, pineapple, cucumber and jalapeno. And Mexican wine and beer alongside those.
Santo Remedio has a soft launch on 18-19 March at 22 Rivington Street, London, EC2A 3DY with 50% off food. There are no reservations for under 6 people and for more info, follow them on Twitter @santoremedioUK.