Rosa's Thai Cafés have been expanding all over town, and now the people behind it are about to launch their next place. It's based on a pop-up called Laos Cafe they ran last year that they're taking permanent in Covent Garden.
Rosa's Saiphin Moore comes from a Lao family in Thailand’s Phetchabun Province and the new restaurant will be featuring traditional Lao salads, curries and char-grilled dishes - with a mix of dishes from last year's pop-up and some new additions. Here's what was on the pop-up's menu (you can read more about that here):
- Isaan mini sausages (saigrok-isaan)
- Eggplant salad with fresh herbs (yum-makuer-yao)
- Spicy liver salad (tub-wan)
- Dressed papaya salad (som-tun), one of Laos’ most iconic dishes
- Chargrilled seabass (pla-yang) with chilli dip, fresh herbs and vegetables
- Saiphin’s home-pickled salmon (pla-som)
- Seafood salad and glass noodles (yum-woon-sen)
- Freshly-made coconut ice-cream to finish
The restaurant itself seats 60 across two floors and the big centrepiece looks to be a mural based on an old family photograph from Saiphin’s childhood.
Lao Cafe opens 15 December 2016 at 60 Chandos Place, London WC2N 4HG. From 15-18 December everyone booking will get 2 complimentary Singha beers or a house red/ white. Book on firstname.lastname@example.org. For more, follow them on Instagram @laocafelondon/.