23/9/16 - updated with soft launch details.
A late night chicken shop and bar is coming to Brixton this September. Opening on Coldharbour Lane, Fancy Funkin Chicken (yes, it really is called that) will serve a range of southern American fried chicken dishes along with a dedicated cocktail menu and will host a range of DJs every weekend.
It's got some pretty impressive backers too. The new venture is a collaborative effort from Nathan Pattie (Co-Founder of PIX), Rollo Weeks (formerly Sketch) and Lars Larson. Combining their experience, the team will be putting a southern American spin on fried chicken at their 50-cover restaurant.
The birds at Fancy Funkin Chicken will be made to a traditional southern American recipe,crusted with herbs and spices before being fried. Highlight dishes from the menu include:
- A trio of ‘Funkin Hot Wings’ – available in three grades of heat including ‘Funkin Hot’ and ‘I can’t feel my face’.
- The Totally Tropical Burger – made using chicken thigh and served with charred pineapple and smoked chilli mayo
- The Big and Greedy Burger – chicken patty with crispy bacon, double cheese, caramelised onion, lettuce and mayo.
- Fried or flame grilled chicken breast
- Sides include fiery Chilli Cheese Fries, classic Tater Tots and three varieties of cornbread. To finish, there are doughnuts straight out of the fryer.
The cocktail and drinks list at Fancy Funkin Chicken will make use of fruit and other ingredients sourced locally from adjacent Brixton Market and will draw upon the founder’s background in the London bar and club scene. Signature cocktails include the twisted Southern Negroni, a heady mix of Bourbon, Campari and molasses garnished with charred orange, and their Hibiscus and Blackcurrant Julep, made using a dash of homemade hibiscus and blackcurrant syrup with Bourbon, mint and lime.
Fancy Funkin Chicken opens 27 September at 441 Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, SW9 8LN. There's a soft launch with 25% off food until 29 September for bookings and walk-ins. To book, call 020 7733 0108. Follow Fancy Funkin Chicken on Instagram @fancyfunkinchicken.